As many of you know Greg's basketball team lost in the second round of the CIF playoffs last Saturday. We traveled up to Arroyo Grande High School (near Santa Maria) and were defeated 41-33. The girls played very hard and didn't ever give up. This past year Greg and his team did far better than anyone had ever expected. They finished up the season 26-2 and captured a 4th consecutive league title. It was so awesome to see how close they got with each other yet broke my heart to see the tears streaming down all their faces (yep Matt & Greg included) when the season was finally over.
I am in such awe of how much our family supports him in his endevours. I know his is the kind of person that he is today because he has come from a great family. I want to say "Thank You" to his mom, step dad, brother, sister in law, dad, and step mother for traveling all the way up there just to show support to him. I know it means the world to him to see you all sitting there in the stands! Thank you!!!
I think what make me so proud of Greg and his accomplishments is not his finishing record or how many league titles they have accomplished, but how he molds his players into respectible individuals. Alison is one of daughter out of 14.
I thought I would share a few emails that were sent to his principal regarding Greg's success..Read them and tell me what you think...
From the Arroyo Grande High School coach to the athletic director:
kevin,
just thought I'd write a short note saying your girls coaches were pretty classy. we were able to beat them on saturday night and I could tell that the girls and the coaches were very dissappointed. Like my team, they didn"t want their season to come to an end.
The officiating was interesting to say the least. I pride myself on not harping on them all night. it was a game where either coach could have gotten a T pretty easily. Greg didn't go crazy, even though we both wanted to at times. He never blamed the refs for the loss. That would have sent the wrong message to the girls.
in closing, it was just nice to play a team from a different area that was trying to teach the girls the same lessons.
vard ikeda
Arroyo Grande HS girls basketball
From the Assistant Superintent of his district:
Congratulations on a wonderful season. You have had a great run with the Girls' Basketball Program at Covina HS!! Thanks for all of your hard work, dedication, and commitment to CHS and C-VUSD. Penny and I wished we could have gone to more games this year!!
Congratulations,
David L. Samuelson
Assistant Superintendent,
From a fellow mentor and former coach:
Gus & Matt,
53-4 in the last two seasons...! Amazing! Congrats on doing another superb job with the girls' roundball team. Your achievements this year certainly exceeded expectations. Looking forward to next year!
Dave
From a fellow teacher:
Greg & Matt,
Congratulations on another great season!!! The spirit in which your girls competed and represented CHS made me proud to say, "I am a Covina Colt." The character and athletism they displayed Saturday was a positive reflection of all the hard work and dedication you and your staff have invested through the years. Again, job well done!
Kaz
We all are so proud of him!! WAY TO GO!!
1 comment:
Congrats Greg
We are proud of you too!
Maybe one day you will be a Laker coach!
Great job and God Bless
We love you
The Griego's
Post a Comment