
This was our very first breast cancer walk experience. My Auntie Connie and Cousin Melissa participated in the Avon's 3 day walk from Santa Barbara to Ventura. We had no idea what the walks were about until we went. Of course we fell in love with the inspiration we felt there. I remember two specific things from this experience...
1. She expressed that she didn't want to be a face on a t-shirt (another words didn't want this illness to take her life away). This is was so monuemental because we knew that it was her desire to not have her picture on a t-shirt. To this day....we have never worn her picture at a walk.
2. She also said..."We are going to do this next year!"..she never made it to the next year. With that comment and her passing, we vowed to make the walk the next year. We are working to getting back to participating in the walks..so hopefuly next year!!
BTW..she walked the last 4 or 5 miles (I can't quite remember exactly how many)..holding hands with my aunt. What a moment!!

This was the first actual walk that we registered and participated in. My mom, Greg, Aunty Irene, Uncle Steve and I walked in the Susan G Komen walk at the Rose Bowl. We had a blast! I will never forget the conversation we had...
Me: Mom, go get us some goodies from the Survivor tent.
Mom: Mija, I don't think I can..
Me: Why not?
Mom: I don't think I am a survivor yet?
Me: Mom...Did you have breast cancer? Aren't you still alive?
Mom: Well..yeah...
Me: then I would classify you as a Survivor!!
Mom: haha..yeah I guess you are right!
We laughed and enjoyed the yummy doughnuts that she brought from the tent. After this walk, she was interviwed by channel 9 news. OH we laughed because we thought it was so hilarious..never knowing that would be one of the last times she would be out in public. I am going to try to load the video that we showed at her funeral and it has the clip from the news. Cross your fingers that I can do it!!
Have a great Friday!!
5 comments:
I love you sis! Miss you terribly....
Great blogging Steph
Good luck uploading (crossing my fingers for success), it was a very touching video!
Tears, tears and MORE TEARS. Sweet and lovely post. :)
Why do you have to make me cry!!! UGH
What great memories of your mother! Thanks for sharing with us.
Post a Comment