Monday, November 22, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

“Teach the children so that it will not be necessary to teach the adults.”
-Abraham Lincoln
As I look around my house, it is very evident that we are extremely blessed. Alison has plenty of toys, we have a pantry full of food, and our closets are bulging with clothes. A few years back Greg and I vowed that if we could afford to buy a pair of shoes throughout the year, then during the holiday season we could fill it with goodies for children less fortunate than us. Therefore, we never throw a shoe box away. Each year we participate in Operation Christmas Child. 
 This year I involved Alison in getting the boxes ready. I want her to not only appreciate what she has, but to think of others in need as well.  We took a trip to the dollar rack at Target so we could fill three boxes (one box for each of us). We talked about friends who live far away that didn't have any toys, so we are going to give them some. She was totally into it...too into it! We bought our "new friends" a cup and plate, a warm hat & mittens, crayons, paper, pencils, necklaces, princess chap sticks, candy, and some cookies. Her loving heart wanted to buy them everything! When we got home we put the boxes together and prayed over them and the friends they were being delivered to. 
She very intently sorted all the gifts and put them in their appropriate boxes.



It made me soo happy to see her being so giving. I hope to see her servant's heart continuing to grow. I hope the recipients our blessed by our boxes!

2 comments:

JenCoen said...

I wanted to badly to do this with my kids this year... but honestly it is so hard to get through my days. I know this is something that we will do next year. So happy your got to do that.

The Baker Family said...

I love that for every pair of shoes you buy, you fill it for this ministry. It is such a great idea..You so right if you can afford a new pair of shoes you most definitely can fill it for a child who has nothing.