Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Catalyst of Change:Operation Chocolate Chip Cookie

What is a Catalyst of Change? and Operation Chocolate Chip cookie you ask? Well our church has been undergoing a whole "reFocusing" movement in efforts to be become more outward focused on reaching and loving others rather than expecting others to come to our church, do things our way, etc. Call it a new "mission"....but call it simply showing love and appreciation to others with absolutely no strings attached. Now it is easy to hop from various groups to groups without ever making the attempt to build a relationship or get to know the story behind the smile.

So through our refocusing efforts and listening to where Christ would have us go, He laid it on our hearts to visit the correctional officers at the Chino Institute for Men (aka..the Chino Men's prison). I know your first thoughts...WHAT?!?! WHO WOULD WANT TO GO THERE? But let me tell you..

Greg and I went on a tour (yes I was out of my wits!) and boy what a eye opening experience!! I have always envisioned that criminals who have gotten themselves where they are today do not deserve to live a life of luxury. Boy, let me tell you...that prison is NO luxury!! Afraid to breath and sweat rolling down my face during our tour at 8 pm at night, I quickly realized that those men and women (and there are more women that you think) who work to keep us safe as they deal with some of society's most difficult people work under some of the most disgusting and harsh conditions possible. Now when asking them what we could do for them just to show appreciation and the response given is "Why would you want to show us appreciation..no one ever does." or "People only do things to help the prisoners, why us?" It makes you stop and wonder...

Now our efforts to start building relationships for these guards have been in the planning. Remember our goal is just to show the pure love and appreciation that Christ offers. We expect not one single person will ever step foot in our church, but will be well aware of the love Christ has to offer! The authorities at the prison really didn't know what to take from our efforts. As a matter of fact, the lieutenant said from quote as I was standing there.."Gosh I don't know what to say. No group has ever come to me with this offer. I have had thousands like these for the prisons but never the guards. Since it's a road I have never been down...I guess the possibilities could be endless." Coincidence you might say..I call it straight direction and communication from God.

So on our first attempt to make contact with the correctional officers and staff, we decided to put two homemade chocolate chip cookies in a little bag with a tag that said "Your community appreciates you". The problem was...there is 2200 (No I didn't add an extra zero) workers over the 3 shifts...multiply it by 2 cookies each..yep that was a grand total of 4400 chocolate chip cookies. That is 367 DOZEN cookies to be exact.

At first we thought no problem...but then reality sunk in..could we bake that many. Sure we could...could we?? Well after some baking, some praying, more baking, even more praying, a little panic, calling out for anyone who wanted to help, more praying, more baking, and then finally packaging, you will not believe this... WE RECEIVED OVER 12, 000 homemade chocolate chip cookies!!! Now that's what I call a God-sized number....just like when Jesus did in Matthew 14:15-21 when he feed the 5000! I was soo lucky to have my each of my sisters and my sister in law to help me. They each baked 6 dozen each and I made 28 dozen! Thanks so much girls!!

Here is our cookies...with my special helper helping me...


Alison wanted to eat them soo bad, but kept saying, "We can't eat them....they are for churchie".



Now seeing the cookies come carried in boxed to the fellowship hall was a sight to see, but the most rewarding part was watching the looks on these individual's face when they were passed out. We did not tell them that where we were from or have any affliation with our church. We were there to show love and appreciation. Greg and I along with another person were assigned to a specific yard where 200 employees worked. I will say..I was brought to tears not once but numerous times by the reaction we got. The fear of rejection and uncertainty quickly left with each encounter.

"Why would you do this for us...the prisoners only get things like this."

" I thought that email from the lieutenant this morning was just a joke."

"Wow...this is a first and I have worked here for 25 years!"

Here is a picture of our group. We can't wait to share the next event with you!

No comments: