Friday, February 5, 2010

You've got to be kidding me!!

Do you ever have a moment in your busy day that you look around and think, "You've GOT to be kidding me?!?" I'm sure you do. So, play along in my blog carnival. We will be posting our 'moments' every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month! It'll be fun...come on!

A Little Bit of Crazy…A Whole Lot of Love

Yeah I know its not the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month. It isn't even a Thursday. But don't you want to hear what happened to me yesterday...Wait duh..yesterday was the 1st Thursday of the month..Whahoo!! Anyhoo...let me preface by saying that I am trying to reconstruct my ways of thinking. You know..better time management..more patience.. yadi yadi yi...*wink wink*. No on a serious note. One day while I was stalking..No I totally mean...browsing other people's blog, I came across a very honest and mind changing post. Mckmama was talking about how one day I am going miss mayhem that comes with having a toddler. My little sweetheart is very busy, loves to talk..talk..and talk some more. Am I complaining? Absolutely not! I would never do such a thing! But really this post really hit me hard. I am constantly on the go (not necessarily out of the house) but always doing something. So since reading this..I have made a conscious effort to treasure each moment because one day she won't need me this way. A few days later, I was talking with my sister in law Dana and we were talking about why as mother's are we always saying no. Do we say no because it is unsafe for the child? or Do I simply say no because I am lazy and don't want to do? humm...Reality check!!


So what am I getting at? Wait...DISCLAIMER.. IF YOU ARE FROM CPS..PLEASE STOP READING!! I am just kidding...everyone is perfectly fine!! Yesterday I asked Alison if she wanted some popcorn as an afternoon snack. Now remember...treasuring moments..not always saying no for no reason... Well I get the popcorn ready to make (I use the traditional pot and you put the kernels in and spin the handle), and Alison is asking to help. I think sure why not. I put her far away from the stove...turn the rotating handle toward her far away from danger..and viola we make the popcorn! Popcorn finishes making and I think..crap I don't have a bowl! Ok..no panicking. I wait until it finishes and then tell her that is VERY HOT..Do no touch! And then what I did what all good mothers do...I put it completely out of reach from her! I move pan..move her further away from the stove..turn around and reach down for a bowl...as I turn around what do I see???? I SEE ALISON REACHING TO TOUCH...THE STOVE GRATE! Unfortunately, the look on her face was priceless..and I well...freaked out! Here's where my new way of thinking kicked in. I didn't yell. I didn't scream at her. I scooped her up and in a calm and caring voice comforted her. The old me would have freaked out in panic and scolded her (since I had just told her not to touch anything), but the new me..said otherwise. After about 2 minutes with a boo boo bag, everything was fine. She did not burn her hand. There were no blisters. No trip to the ER was need. Phew..we were lucky. Will I do that again..No! Will I continue to try to remain calm during these storms..yes! I thank God that she wasn't seriously injured!!

Here's your flashback friday picture for today....This was Alison's 1st Valentine Card...Oh how I love her!




Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Roberts Family said...

OH MY GOSH IM TAKING HER AWAY FROM YOU!!! See trying to steal my idea of POPCORN TIME....and look what happens!! My poor lu buggulu! No need for cps... TTM is to the rescue!

Dana said...

Glad she's okay!

Jan said...

Treasure eash and every moment . What is happening at "this" very moment will only be a memory in the "next". The toddler days can be very trying, but it is only preparing you for the teen years. You'll look back an realize those were the easy days! Don't Blink, cause You're Gonna Miss This! BTW, I listen to way too much country music!

Kelly said...

HaHa Jan - you and me both! I think it's pretty hard not to panic when you see your child about to do something like that. I thoroughly enjoyed Alison's visit the other day - such a sweetheart!